Friday, February 23, 2007

What Do Others Think?

Ashley S.

http://asako12.blogspot.com/

“In comparison with the last book, I find Williams to be very helpful. He approaches the topic of writing with the assumption that we have some knowledge of what we're doing. Reading Strunk and White was like reading Writing For Dummies. I also liked that Williams started off broadly in his approach, describing bad writing, why we do it, and then progressed slowly so you could almost envision yourself setting the book down and writing something marvelous. It made me realize how many stupid things I've done writing papers, tap-dancing around, rather than getting to a clear point (or POINT haha) and effectively validating that point. Even as I'm writing this blog, I keep correcting myself as I notice little things I do which he has pointed out as bad writing.

I didn't find Strunk and White very effective. Most of the rules they explained were common sense to me. There were a few things I hadn't known before, but for the most part I found the whole thing boring. As was mentioned in the group discussion, a lot of the rules were very nit-picky (sp?), meaning they weren't always applicable or were outdated, and were most likely put in the book because of the author’s personal preferences. If I were a college English Prof. I would most definitely recommend Williams' book to every writer. I think there is a lot to be gained from reading it, as well as using it for a reference in the future.”


I like Ashley S.’ discussion comparing being told what to do versus being offered suggestions, examples, and explanations for improvement. Since Strunk and White did write a more “Writing For Dummies” command manual than an actual guide, their book made me standoffish. Readers don’t like to be insulted and told what to do without justification.

I agree that Williams was a fresh change right off the bat because “he approaches the topic of writing with the assumption that we have some knowledge of what we’re doing.” Immediately, that makes a reader feel welcome and comfortable with the author. Williams also did not insult the reader or bad writing, but explained that it’s a common occurrence, provided reasons why we do it, and then reasons for becoming better writers and how.

The book’s progression was slow and while it was a longer and more difficult read than Strunk and White, I was able to follow Williams and see how each chapter built off of the previous and how the progression moved towards better writing. I did feel after reading it that I could be a better writer because I was given concrete examples and explanations and how-to guides. Best of all, being given so much practice with style exercises I think back on previous writing and all of the simple and not-so-simple mistakes I made, allowing me to be more aware of my current and future writing.

Jason C.

http://jcanfield-jcanfield.blogspot.com/

“…in Strunk and White, the rules were just given to the reader which I took as a "take it or leave it" type of approach. Strunk and White present a black and white approach to style and good writing, Williams on the other hand leaves us with more gray areas, making us think a little harder. For instance, toward the end of Williams' book Chapter 10 when he talks about Precision he states "Wherever you take your stand" (197). This leads me to believe here that this is one of those gray areas, basically, he is saying okay, here are a bunch of different rules and approaches I presented you with, now you decide what you will take and use in your writing. Strunk and White did not do this at all…However, I did find that Strunk and White was a easier and more straightforward read.”


I liked Jason C’s discussion here comparing Strunk and White with Williams. I have posted previously that Strunk and White’s novel made me feel both insulted – since some of the rules were elementary – and defensive, since they attacked many things I do in my writing without explaining why they are wrong or how to fix them. I think this is what Jason is talking about in describing Strunk and White’s book as having a “take it or leave it” approach. When I think about it, the authors were saying ‘this is what good writing is: do it and you’re a good writer, don’t are you’re not.” They offered little middle ground or room for the individual to put their own unique style into their writing. Instead of offering “gray” suggestions that would allow a writer to follow the rules but also bend them for the sake of personal style, Strunk and White only offered the good versus the bad.

Jason states that Williams offers us a different approach and provides more general statements and advice, but unlike Strunk and White, backs them up and gives examples and exercises. Williams also offers his advice without commanding. He leaves room for exceptions and personal style as long as writers master the basics and are in control of their writing. Like Jason said, this may be preferable to Strunk and White’s “take it or leave it approach” but it isn’t necessarily any easier. Williams encourages writers to take responsibility for their own writing rather than simply instruct them to follow his rules, no questions asked. He allows writers a freedom and a variety of choices, which Strunk and White do not.

No comments: